Friday, January 8, 2010

The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation - Succubus



Ad Noiseam, 2009

I had heard of The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble through Coilhouse, which while a great outlet for alternative culture and arts, and while overall the always lovely Meredith Yayanos' (violist of Faun Fables) tastes are to be trusted, the blog overall isn't always the best place to look for recommendations that fit my esoteric music taste. So I backed off for a while, especially turned off by the involvement of Bong Ra (Jason Kohnen) whose solo work is second rate even for masturbatory ragga jungle. A last.fm connection to other vaguely associated "dark jazz" ensembles (the music gods Bohren Und Der Club Of Gore, Kammerflimmer Kollektief, etc.) made me think there may have been more going on than I had written off. Additionally a recent flip in tastes back towards the more technoid has brought the Ad Noiseam label back to my attention, especially with their recent Scorn dubstep releases (I'll post one of those soon, he's come back and conquered the genre he more or less helped to create. best stuff since Vex'd. really.) So I checked it out on a whim, and there's nothing fishy going on, I was totally impressed by their 2006 self-titled debut. A wonderful mix of improvised ambient soundscapes, jazz instrumentation, scattered and never excessive idm beats, a beautiful floating female voice. My interest was peaked, and reading the description of their alter-ego Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation as a more droney and more improvised group, I just had to check it out. And what I found was another lost 2009 gem, the press I usually read wouldn't even go near this label or musicians, but this is just plain fucking great dark, groove filled music. A new dark music which is sexual and deeply felt. A travel through the invisible night cities of the soul, rooms filled with flickering lamps and faceless businessmen staring at their glass of bourbon. The silhouettes of past women line the walls. They are carrying knives.

DOWNLOAD

1 comment:

cnjnctvsynth said...

Man, great blog! So much great stuff that I didn't know about. Thanks a million.